Named after Lord Ashburnham, the Ashburnham Tinplate Works opened in 1890. Financed by local business men it had a turbulent history – hence its nickname “The Umbrella Works”. During WW2 it was used as a tobacco warehouse. It was then nationalised in 1951. However the modern production methods at the new Trostre Works forced the Ashburnham Works to close its doors on the 31st of January 1953. A part of the site now houses Parson Pickles Factory.