In September 1845, five acres of the Penceiliogi farm next to the Dafen River was leased in order to build a tinplate manufactory. Dafen Tinplate Works was known for many years as the Dafen Forge, with its fires and furnaces, hammers and rollers. During that time four mills were working employing around 80 men, women and boys. Many more worked in the Tinhouse in the finishing process, and in the sawmills and carpenter shops. In 1925 the works finished making tinplate to concentrate on producing untinned plate and galvanised sheets. In 1927 it was registered as a new company – The Dafen Tinplate and Galvanising Co. This company suffered in the 1930’s Depression and in 1941 the works closed completely. It did not open again until 1947, after the war. In 1959, a general slump in the industry finally brought 112 years of history to a close.