In 1737 the Lower Works at Kidwelly was founded by Charles Gwynn. On the eastern bank of the River Gwendraeth Fach, the works operated from early 1738. Charles Gwynn entered a partnership with Anthony Rogers who owned a nearby iron forge. Rogers later bought Gwynn out of the partnership. Rogers’s son Lewis later obtained the works in 1758. Over the next 202 years the the works changed hands many times. In 1904 Kidwelly Tinplate Company Limited was registered and took over the works. The works ceased trading in 1946, ending over 208 years at the site, making it one of the oldest works in the country. The Kidwelly Industrial Museum now stands where the works once stood. It keeps the history and heritage of Kidwelly’s tinplate alive.